Visit to Vegas
Every year I head to Las Vegas for two days (two serious meals) to attend a hospitality design show with my architect and great friend Patrick Sutton.This year I had meals set for two of the new restaurants in Vegas that had been recommended very strongly to me by a person who's opinion I value only second to my wife's, on restaurants.
My visit to Bartolotta at lunch (when I would recommend you go) was, in the final analysis, excellent. It's an over-the-top room in the Wynn (big surprise) that is quite bright and luxe. It's only negative being the relatively loud Italian pop music (second worst music choice to the Led Zeppelin at Babbo). Service was a little shaky until the Italian maitre d'hotel got involved and then it was stellar.
We had a pleasant version of a tasting menu highlighting a lot of the seafood that they fly in daily from the Mediterranean. An idea after my own heart! Four dishes at a time were served to the center of the table and we could taste, share and covet as appropriate. The Octopus Salad was better than I've had in Sicily or Sardinia. Horse Mackeral was lovely also. Sepia (cuttlefish) was a bit overcooked, but an excellent preparation with a basil oil. Next was Roasted Aragosta (spiny lobster) with Penne and Sicilian Cherry Tomatoes. The Lobster had excellent flavor but couldn't care less about the tomato - they were not really companionable. Orata simply roasted whole in the oven was simple and delicious and fresh.
All courses did very well with a Rich Verdicchio from Sartarelli. God help 99 percent of red wines with this menu. After was a variety of sorbets and granitas that were housemade and correct. Price for quality over all I felt very good about.Wine prices a bit brutal, but it's Vegas baby!
Welcome B-
Food A-
Atmosphere B
Cellar B+
Service B+
Entree price $38
My visit to Bartolotta at lunch (when I would recommend you go) was, in the final analysis, excellent. It's an over-the-top room in the Wynn (big surprise) that is quite bright and luxe. It's only negative being the relatively loud Italian pop music (second worst music choice to the Led Zeppelin at Babbo). Service was a little shaky until the Italian maitre d'hotel got involved and then it was stellar.
We had a pleasant version of a tasting menu highlighting a lot of the seafood that they fly in daily from the Mediterranean. An idea after my own heart! Four dishes at a time were served to the center of the table and we could taste, share and covet as appropriate. The Octopus Salad was better than I've had in Sicily or Sardinia. Horse Mackeral was lovely also. Sepia (cuttlefish) was a bit overcooked, but an excellent preparation with a basil oil. Next was Roasted Aragosta (spiny lobster) with Penne and Sicilian Cherry Tomatoes. The Lobster had excellent flavor but couldn't care less about the tomato - they were not really companionable. Orata simply roasted whole in the oven was simple and delicious and fresh.
All courses did very well with a Rich Verdicchio from Sartarelli. God help 99 percent of red wines with this menu. After was a variety of sorbets and granitas that were housemade and correct. Price for quality over all I felt very good about.Wine prices a bit brutal, but it's Vegas baby!
Welcome B-
Food A-
Atmosphere B
Cellar B+
Service B+
Entree price $38

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home