Political Juice
Just like everyone else I have politics on the brain this year. My poor staff is confined to not talking about the topic in the dining rooms (I do know there are a few cheaters). As a gigantic dork (term used to express full realization of geekdom) about wine, I have, of course, come up with metaphorical wine representations of the candidates (In a year where you have these more extreme types it's much easier - it would have been a dull, dull tasting in 2000 and 2004, let me tell you).
I'll name the wines and you can guess who I feel they represent (I am making them all red so you can't say I am sexist)…
One candidate is clearly a Spanish wine for me. One made in a very modern style with a very broad-base appeal. 2005 Numanthia. Thick - almost syrupy, heady, spicy with rich smooth tannins. There is a serious oak veneer that polishes the entry. This robust wine shows potential for age but there have only been a few vintages produced and it is difficult to say if it will become more complex or if it will become charmless, hollow and monolithic as the years pass and the bloom comes off the young fruit.
Another is one of the Cabernets from California from the 1970's - perhaps the 74 Burgess Vintage Selection. This wine has always shown body and power. Time has taken some of the attack from its substantial tannins, but they are still noticeable and fine (but not very fine). The dusty black fruit shows the power of the place where the wine was grown in relatively unassuming fashion. Even at this age it has years to go to resolve its structure.
Tickets are rounded out with ...Etude Pinot Noir - any year just about. Very consistent and reliable. Tony Soter always makes this wine for consumers, not for serious wine folk. Cherry and cola notes lace this medium weight punchy/fruity pinot.
...And also...an early 90's Zinfandel from Ravenswood (at about age 5) 1992 Belloni vineyard. Robust and full of vigor, unrefined and exciting. Showing some alcoholic heat. Very expressive while not highly complex. Has the fruit and structure to age - not produced from a grape that often shows greater complexity as time passes.
I'll name the wines and you can guess who I feel they represent (I am making them all red so you can't say I am sexist)…
One candidate is clearly a Spanish wine for me. One made in a very modern style with a very broad-base appeal. 2005 Numanthia. Thick - almost syrupy, heady, spicy with rich smooth tannins. There is a serious oak veneer that polishes the entry. This robust wine shows potential for age but there have only been a few vintages produced and it is difficult to say if it will become more complex or if it will become charmless, hollow and monolithic as the years pass and the bloom comes off the young fruit.
Another is one of the Cabernets from California from the 1970's - perhaps the 74 Burgess Vintage Selection. This wine has always shown body and power. Time has taken some of the attack from its substantial tannins, but they are still noticeable and fine (but not very fine). The dusty black fruit shows the power of the place where the wine was grown in relatively unassuming fashion. Even at this age it has years to go to resolve its structure.
Tickets are rounded out with ...Etude Pinot Noir - any year just about. Very consistent and reliable. Tony Soter always makes this wine for consumers, not for serious wine folk. Cherry and cola notes lace this medium weight punchy/fruity pinot.
...And also...an early 90's Zinfandel from Ravenswood (at about age 5) 1992 Belloni vineyard. Robust and full of vigor, unrefined and exciting. Showing some alcoholic heat. Very expressive while not highly complex. Has the fruit and structure to age - not produced from a grape that often shows greater complexity as time passes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home